DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER:
The views presented in this blog are the views of the author, and are not intended to represent the views of the government, the Department of Defense, or the United States Army, or any person or organization of consequence. Any resemblance to the viewpoints of legitimate writers or intelligent persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. If you try to reprint this without the permission of the author...just don't reprint this without the permission of the author, we'll leave it at that.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Captain's Blog: Stardate May 15rd, 2010.

I am so excited about returning to the days where getting to work means showing your ID, food is purchased at the commissary, you shop for everything else at the PX, there are no 7-11s but there are shoppettes, lunch decisions are Robin Hood, Charley's, Burger King, Popeye's or the DFAC, every Monday is spent in the Motor Pool, every Thursday is Family Day and Sergeant's Time, and you can guarantee that on the 1st and 15th it's time for Payday Activities.

There's a certain peace one feels within when you pull onto a military installation, seeing the multitude of buildings all the same size and color, each with their requisite flagpole in front. The delay of traffic because a convoy of HMMWVs and LMTVs or M1A2s and M2A3's (tanks and Bradleys) does not warrant the same frustration that one would encounter in a major city traffic jam. The "pop pop pop" of the rifle range in the distance brings a warmth inside and a slight jealousy that you're not out there firing with them. You can feel good about the day you've put in when you're on post for both reveille in the morning, and retreat in the afternoon, and also that you're getting to render courtesy to the colors you've sworn to defend.

Now that I've gotten word that I've been approved to return to Regular Army status, I reflect on the time I've put in, and look forward to remaining in uniform until I ultimately retire one day. I do not truly regret leaving when I did, as one makes decisions based on the information they have at the time, but I do wonder where I'd be and what I'd be doing had I remained in. There are many WONDERFUL people I've met in my civilian careers that I wouldn't have had the joy of knowing had I stayed in. However I will not dwell on past decisions but rather look forward to new opportunities and hope, nay pray, for successful future endeavors. Many of the dearest friends (rather, family) I've ever made came while I've been in uniform and that was only reinforced by a recent visit with many of them for a wedding in Pennsylvania. Meeting up with them is so easy because it's like no time has past since our last meeting. All the same stories come up, all the same quotes and impressions. I cherish every chance I get to see those guys and look forward to future meetings and the chance to work with them again.

So, when you wonder why I serve, there are many reasons. Patriotism and duty to our nation are the obvious. Every Soldier serves for that. But, there are many other reasons as well. There is a culture and familial atmosphere that service in the military creates that I long to be a part of once more and the chance to work, train, fight, and serve alongside the finest group of people America has ever known brings me back and will keep me in until I retire...

HOOAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment